What You Will Learn
- Learn ways to ensure your behaviors reflect your own leadership values
- Discover how to value diverse opinions, new voices and varied experiences
- Determine ways to connect with team members to build relationships and trust
What You Will Do
- Create and share your purpose as a leader
- Develop a plan to recognize great performance
- Write a personal definition of leadership
- Begin to define and recognize how your leadership legacy wil impact those you lead
Every leader has a purpose, and when they discover it, they ignite a fire to become the best leader possible. Brigadier General (Retired) Rebecca “Becky” Halstead illuminates principles for Leading with Purpose through personal stories about her time serving as a leader during the war in Iraq; as she led one of the world’s largest supply chains for the US Army; and in poignant one-on-one interactions with soldiers.
While most of her work demanded world-class efficiency, Halstead discovered that efficiency focuses on data and measures, and is the work of managers. Leaders must also be effective, and that requires recognizing the human dimension — the people who add value day in and day out.
In this Sprint, Brigadier General Halstead guides leaders to:
- Encourage diversity of thought and experiences to improve decision making and strengthen teams
- Communicate effectively to connect with people and build relationships
- Leave a legacy by being significant in the lives of those you lead
Leaders collaborate to share stories of leading with purpose as they test new behaviors and model purposed-based leadership. Through testing, modeling and sharing, leaders begin to shape a culture that features trust, transparency and continual learning.