What You Will Learn
- Create a story that will increase the success of an important initiative or change effor
- Usestorytellingtohelpteamsunderstandandalignaroundafuture state your team must reach
- Identify action steps to work across departments and cultures in a more collaborative manner
What You Will Do
- Understand how stories use context, emotion and simple themes to build deep connections with your audience
- Develop a convincing case for your idea by identifying reasons for your audience to say “Yes!”
- Build your own story, using the concepts covered each day. At the end of the sprint, you will have a memorable pitch to communicate your idea within your organization
In our fast-paced business world, gaining attention for a new idea can be challenging. Leaders often fill their presentations with statistics and metrics to help make their case, but these numbers and the meaning behind them often fail to make the personal connection that motivates people. To make an impact you need to connect with your stakeholders in a way that inspires action.
Storytelling, a skill once reserved for authors and movie producers, has become the newest addition to the business leader’s tool box. Some claim it will be the leaders’ most important skill in the next decade. Research has shown that stories allow us to connect with data in a meaningful way.
By developing storytelling skills, you will be able to:
- Create a compelling message that clearly communicates why your idea is better than any alternative
- Evaluate the preferred communication styles of your audience and frame your idea in a way that resonates deeply with them
- Create a memorable pitch, using the proven PCAN storytelling framework. Stakeholders will remember your idea and vision, and understand how the idea can provide mutual benefits
- Navigate the organizational environment to gain support for your idea at all levels. Storytelling helps you to work with and through others to gain alignment on a common goal.
This learning sprint combines a research-based framework, strategies and tools for communicating with diverse groups, and a proven work plan for moving your idea from concept to implementation