About This Course
The Data Revolution is in full swing, transforming everything from daily life to how organizations operate their businesses. The world has watched in awe as the organizations that are willing, ready, and able to take on the challenge of harnessing the power of data science to make predictions about their customers, the market, and their organizations have stood further and further above their peers.
But many organizations are struggling to unleash this power for their organizations; progress is stymied by misunderstanding, poor data strategy, and lack of a common language between teams. The directive to make data-driven decisions flounders as teams struggle to understand the fundamental principles of data science.
Welcome to the Solution
This course, while not exhaustive, will enable you to collaborate with your data team and think more “data analytically.” If you dedicate your time and attention, you will find yourself increasingly able to move forward into the opportunities that predictive analytics holds for your organization.
Professor, Information Systems and Andre Meyer Faculty Fellow at NYU Stern School of Business
Professor at NYU Stern School of Business
What You Will Learn
Demystify the data science process.
Align data and business understanding and develop meaningful solutions to issues such as siloing and mistranslation.
Develop new ability to communicate with analytics stakeholders.
What You Will Do
Develop a highly functional familiarity with key data mining concepts.
Construct a data proposal that will then be crowd-sourced via Idea Tournament to evaluate, hone, and provide to your organization for implementation.
Collaborate to unpack your organization’s current data strategy and propel your organization into new levels of data maturity.
INTRODUCTION TO PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS
- An Unparalleled Opportunity
- Understanding the Target Variable
- Asking the Right Question
THE DATA MINING PROCESS
- Introduction to Data Mining
- Categorical and Numeric Target Variable
- Managing Iteration in Data Preparation
INTRODUCTION TO MODELING
- Demystifying Modeling
- Supporting the Modeling Process
- Detecting and Avoiding Overfitting
EVALUATING YOUR PREDICTIONS
- Establishing Baseline Performance
- Evaluating Categorical Models
- Evaluating Numeric Models
- Understanding the Expected Value of Your Data Science Solution
LEVERAGING PREDICTIVE ANALYTICS FOR COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE
- Deployment: Data Science in the Real World
- Bringing a Deeper Understanding to Data Proposals
- Partner Review